Medical Information required for bringing an accident claim

Your solicitor may need to obtain your medical records from your GP or the hospital and will ask for your written permission to do so. Your solicitor may also need to send you to a specialist doctor to be examined. The specialist will help your solicitor by preparing a report to explain what your injuries are, whether you will recover and how long it may take.

It is important for your solicitor to find out medical information about your injury so they can advise you properly. Your solicitor should be able to give you some idea of how much you are likely to receive for your injury if you win your case. You must, however, give your solicitor all the information that they ask for.

If you were treated in hospital, you or your solicitor can obtain your medical records from the hospital under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or the Data Protection Act 2018. You are entitled to copies of your medical records; there is no charge for this.

You should write to the Records Department of the hospital involved to obtain your records.

Using a barrister when making a personal injury claim

Accident Claims