Prohibited Steps Order - to stop a child being taken

You can apply to the court if you think your partner is likely to try and take your children from you. This is called a "Prohibited Steps Order".

This Order will also help you if your partner is thinking of taking the children to live abroad.

If your partner has taken the children out of the country then you may be able to get the children back with the help of the court, but this depends on which country the children have been taken to.

Below is a list of countries with whom we have an agreement so that if children are taken to these countries unlawfully the authorities in that country can help to bring the children back.

Or, if you have a Child Arrangements Order and the children are taken to one of these countries, the authorities in that country should help to make sure the children are returned to you.
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belize
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia & Herzegovina
  • Burkina Faso
  • Canada (most states)
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus (Southern)
  • Denmark
  • Ecuador
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Honduras
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Luxembourg
  • Macedonia
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Panama
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • St.Kitts & Nevis
  • United States
  • Yugoslavia
  • Zimbabwe

Search & Find and Disclosure Orders - to find and return a child