Legal Aid for family law cases

Your solicitor can represent you in Divorce, Judicial Separation, or Nullity proceedings under Legal Help.

This is only if those proceedings are "Undefended", (your partner is not challenging the proceedings) and if you qualify for assistance under the Scheme.

In order to sort out children disputes or financial matters you will need to apply for a Legal Representation Certificate.

Legal Aid is not usually available to defend a divorce unless there are very good reasons for defending the divorce.

If your partner defends the divorce so that it leads to a trial you may be able to obtain Public Funding on the basis that your partner's actions mean that you have no choice but to attend a trial in order to obtain a divorce and you need representation at court.

Human Rights Act 1998 and family law

Relationships & Family Law