Having a say about the amount of your legal costs

If you receive Legal Aid, but you have to pay a Contribution, then you have a say in the amount of your legal costs. This is because you are partly paying for those costs. If you win your case and receive money, but have to repay your legal costs then again you have a say.

If your Legal Representation Certificate is "Revoked" you may be liable to pay your legal costs and again you will have a say about your costs.

Your solicitor must give you a copy of your bill at the end of the case so you know how much your costs actually are. You can object to the bill by getting the court to decide how much you have to pay. This is known as a detailed "Assessment".

All you have to do as soon as you receive a copy of your bill is to tell your solicitor that you object to the amount. You must tell your solicitor within 14 days of receiving the bill and send in "written points of dispute" to your solicitor and to the court.

Your solicitor must contact the court and arrange an "Assessment Hearing". You then go to the hearing and tell the judge why you object to the bill, the judge can reduce the bill.

Remember, each time your solicitor uses a barrister or an expert in your case this increases your legal costs. Your solicitor should therefore ask your permission first.

Franchising - law firms with a franchise to do legal aid work

Legal Aid