Eviction by Bailiffs - the process and how to stop it

If a possession order is made your landlord must then apply to the court for what is called a "Warrant of Possession". This is an application for the court bailiffs to go to the property to evict you. The court bailiffs will usually visit the property and leave a note to tell you when they will next be coming to evict you.

If you want to stop an eviction then you must act quickly. You should go to the court and pick up a "Notice of Application Form" and apply for what is called a "Stay of Execution" (as long as your landlord is not relying on grounds 9, 10, 10A or 11).

Even if you have been evicted by a bailiff you can still apply to "Set Aside" the possession order but you must have good reasons. A good reason may be for example, that you did not receive the Summons and other court documents and that you have a defence to the action.

You can apply to set aside the possession order on a "Notice of Application Form" which you can pick up from the court.

Disrepair - landlords duty to repair a property and keep it in good condition

Public Housing