Do I Have To Pay Court Fees?

The HM Courts & Tribunals Service (HMCTS) has a system of court fee reductions and waivers called the remission system.

You will not have to pay a court fee if:

a) You are on Income Support, or

b) Working Tax Credit, (but not also receiving Child Tax Credit), or

c) Income based Jobseeker's Allowance, or

d) Pension Credit guarantee credit under the State Pension Credit Act 2002, or

e) Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or

f) Your annual income is below certain limits based on a sliding scale of £13,000 (single person without children) or £18,000 (couple without children) to £24,720 (single person with 4 children) or £29,720 (couple with 4 children). Thereafter add £2,930 for each additional child.

g) If you are receiving Legal Help, Help at Court, or Family Help (Lower). However, if you have a solicitor representing you under a Legal Aid Certificate or Family Hlep (Higher) you will have to pay court fees.

You may have to pay only part of the court fees if your monthly disposable income, (your salary less bills) is below a certain level. The court will calculate the amount of the contribution you will have to pay.

You must complete court form "Ex160", (application for a fee exemption or remission) for each court fee you cannot pay for one of the above reasons.

It is important to remember that if you are using either Money Claim Online (MCOL) or Possession Claim Online (PCOL) you will have to pay the court fees and you will not be able to apply for a remission of fees.