Which form do I need to start a divorce

If you are starting divorce proceedings without the help of a solicitor please note, you may need a different Divorce Petition depending on which ground for divorce you choose. If you tell the court which ground you wish to use they will give you the correct form. There is a general form which can be used if necessary to cover all 5 grounds.

You will need to fill in a "Statement of Arrangements" Form if you have children. You will have to provide details on this form of the names and dates of birth of the children, where they are living, which schools they attend and what arrangements have been made for their care. You will also need to provide details if the children have any special health or education needs or are known to social services.

Remember you must also take to court your original Marriage Certificate or a certified copy which you can obtain from The Family Records Centre.

You may also need to pay a court fee

If you are claiming Income Support or being advised under the Legal Aid / Legal Help Scheme, you may not have to pay a fee. You will need to complete a Fees Exemption Form.

Judicial Separation - an alternative to divorce

Relationships & Family Law