Does a guarantee or warranty give me any special rights ?
But read the guarantee or warranty carefully to check what it covers. If a guarantee comes with a registration card you may have to fill this out and send it off before the guarantee covers you. The guarantee will tell you how to make a claim. Guarantees do not effect your normal rights for a refund or exchange, or to sue the manufacturers for any loss or damage caused because the goods were faulty.
Any guarantees offered by the manufacturer or retailer will be legally binding and must be written in plain English with details of how to make a claim. You can also apply for an injunction against the manufacturer or retailer forcing them to comply with the terms of the guarantee/warranty.
Questions & Answers
- I have bought something from a shop/catalogue/street market/door to door salesman which does not work. What can I do?
- I have bought something which works, but does not do what it says on the packet or is not suitable. What can I do?
- Are there any times when I will not be entitled to my money back or to exchange the goods?
- If I signed an "acceptance note" when I received the goods does this mean I lose my rights if something goes wrong?
- If the goods were bought for me by someone else am I entitled to return the goods?
- If I return goods do I have to accept a "credit note"?
- Do I have to accept a replacement good or a free repair instead of cash?
- Do I need to have a receipt before I can get a refund?
- What if the goods are too heavy to carry back to the shop. Am I responsible for the cost of taking the goods back?
- If I cancel an order am I entitled to the return of a deposit paid by me?
- Does a guarantee or warranty give me any special rights?
- What can I do if I have not received the service I paid for?
- If I buy goods with a credit card does this give me any extra protection?
- If my complaint does not get results can I sue?
- If I buy goods through an auction or private sale what rights do I have?
- Do I have any rights if my holiday is cancelled or if I do not get what I paid for?
- If I have bought something on a credit agreement can I change my mind and cancel?
- If I bought goods after seeing a sample what rights do I have if the goods are not the same as the sample?